World Health Day
At Harcourts Cooper & Co, we’re passionate about keeping healthy, following dreams and setting personal goals. If your New Year’s resolution to get healthy didn’t go to plan, start today, World Health day.
Check out some of the recipes we’ve sourced and love:
Quinoa & Broccoli Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing (Serves 4)
2 cups water, salted
1 cup quinoa
1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
½ cup raw cashews, roughly chopped
80g blue cheese, crumbled
2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ cup lemon juice
1. In a medium-sized pot bring 2 cups salted water to a simmer. Add the quinoa, stir then cover for 15 minutes on low until the liquid has all absorbed. Cool and fluff with a fork.
2. Blanch the broccoli for 2 minutes in boiling water. Drain and cool in cold water. Place half the broccoli into a food processor, pulsing until finely chopped.
3. Add both lots of broccoli and cashews to the quinoa.
4. To make the dressing blend 50g blue cheese with the oil and lemon juice. If a little thick add an extra spoon of lemon juice. Pour over the salad and combine well.
5. Serve with the remaining cheese crumbled over the top.
Quinoa and broccoli salad.Picture / Babiche Martens. Source – Viva
Super-speedy Steamed Salmon Salad (Serves 4)
2 red onions
1 red pepper
1 fresh red chili
½ a bunch of basil
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 bay leaf
300 g couscous
200 g cherry tomatoes
4 x 100 g salmon fillets, skin on, scaled, pin-boned, from sustainable sources extra virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons natural yogurt
1. Peel the onions, halve and deseed the pepper, then finely chop both. Halve, deseed and finely chop the chili.
Pick the basil leaves and finely chop the stalks.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large, deep frying pan over a medium heat, add the basil stalks and chopped veg and cook gently for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Pound the fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar or bash with the base of a pan until fine, then add to the pan with the bay leaf.
4. Place the couscous into a bowl with a pinch of salt and pour over 300ml of boiling water.
5. Halve the cherry tomatoes and add to the pan with the softened vegetables. Season, then stir together and shake the pan so the veg is in one layer.
6. Drizzle the salmon with extra virgin olive oil and season lightly with sea salt and black pepper.
7. Tip the couscous over the vegetables and smooth out. Carefully pour over another 300ml of boiling water, then place the salmon fillets on top of the couscous, skin-side down.
8. Finely grate over the lemon zest and squeeze over the juice.
9. Cover the pan with a lid or tin foil, and cook on a low heat for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the couscous has fluffed up and the salmon is just cooked.
10. Top each salmon fillet with 1 tablespoon of yogurt, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
11. Roughly tear and scatter over the basil leaves, then place the pan in the middle of the table and enjoy.
Source – Jamie Oliver
Low Carb Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie (Serves 8)
½ cup butter (or your spread of choice)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
¼ cup natural granulated sweetener
2 cups almond flour
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup sugar free chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 176C. Heat the butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet over high heat until bubbling. Reduce heat down to low; cover pan (optional but prevents butter spitting everywhere), and continue to cook while stirring occasionally until the butter begins to brown. (Be careful when lifting the lid off the pan as the butter may spit.) Once browned, remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
2. While butter is cooling, whisk together the egg and vanilla extract. Add the sugar and sweetener and whisk again until combined. Add the butter once it has cooled and mix well.
3. Sift in the almond flour (press any lumps gently over the sieve to sift quicker); add the salt and half the chocolate chips; mix through gently until the batter is well combined and creamy. It will be a little thicker than cookie dough. Spoon batter into skillet; top with remaining chocolate chips.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until set on the top when pressed lightly and a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cookie comes out clean.
5. Serve with No Sugar ice cream or frozen yogurt and enjoy!
Source – Cafedelites
Local North Shore Organic Grocers
The North Shore is a great place! Not just to live, but to shop & explore. We’ve designed a small list below to show some of the best organic food stores around the Shore.
1 Barrys Point Road
Takapuna, Auckland 0622
Huckleberry (Grocer & Butcher)
52 East Coast Road
Farro Fresh Food
Cnr Constellation Drive And Parkway Drive
Albany, Auckland 0632
North Shore Gyms
Les Mills Takapuna
Cnr Lake Road &, Como St
Jetts Fitness- Glenfield
3/239 Archers Rd, Wairau Valley, Auckland 0627
25 Constellation Dr, Rosedale, Auckland 0632
79 Barrys Point Rd, Takapuna, Auckland 0622
2 Rothwell Ave, Albany, 0632
+ So much more!
Have fun and reach your goals!